TWITTER: 10 BILLION TWEETS AND COUNTING
That’s a lot of Tweets!
Twitter is about to hit a major milestone as it closes in on its 10,000,000,000th (Ten Billionth) tweet! It’s expected to hit sometime today and to celebrate this historical social media event, we’re giving away two of our fresh new t-shirts to the lucky 10 Billionth Tweeter!
For the 9,999,999,999 Tweeter, lelamarques, we designed this lovely runners-up tshirt:
Also, you might also be interested in our article “7 Tips for Effective Marketing with Twitter“.
7 TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE MARKETING WITH TWITTER
With millions of people connecting through social media, advertisers and marketers are hustling to get in on the action. In the past year we’ve seen many companies and brands attempt to step into this new world only to fail miserably. After analyzing many marketing flops on Twitter, the underlying issues are very apparent.
To be an effective marketer on Twitter you must first stop thinking like one.
Marketing on Twitter requires a bit of a shift in your mindset. Twitter is all about simple conversations; you can’t use press releases, marketing copy and other one-way communication tactics and expect results. Customers want interaction—with you and with each other. Tweeting is one-to-one, with the benefit of being in a public space where other customers may overhear your conversation and interact with each other on your behalf. Read more after the jump.
BIGGEST TWITTER MOMENTS OF 2009
Another year has come to pass and it would be hard ignore the fact that 2009 has been year of the Tweet. From politics to pop stars, Mojave looks at the biggest Twitter moments of the year.
2. The Iranian Election
- State Dept requested that Twitter delay scheduled maintenance in order to continue receiving coverage
- Revolutionized news reporting and real-time information availability
3. Moonfruit Twitter Promotion
- Beat out Michael Jackson and the Iranian Election as a trending Twitter topic by randomly giving out an Apple Macbook Pro every day, for 7 days.
- Brought social media marketing to the forefront of advertising industry
4. Ashton Kutcher vs. CNN
- Ashton (@aplusk) challenged CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) to a Twitter popularity contest in a race to be the first to collect one million followers.
- Kutcher promised to donate 10,000 mosquito bed nets to charity for World Malaria Day if he won the contest and 1,000 if he lost. CNN would match the wager if they won.
- Ashton celebrated a victory with CNN trailing only 30 minutes behind.
WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE IN SOCIAL MEDIA
The highly anticipated movie version of a long time favorite has finally hit the big screen. In the past few weeks, fans and critics alike have been at the tips of their toes cranking up a “Wild Things” storm in social media. Mojave took a look at the conversations revolving around the new movie.
Twitter took center stage around a majority of the buzz creation and syndication. Numerous hashtags were generated by people eager to share their thoughts and experiences. One thing very notable about this particular movie and social media, is the reliance many parents had on user reviews. Moms and Dads researched appropriateness by using tools like YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook; all of which were able to provide valuable insight. So how did people feel about the Wild Things?
Most people felt very positive, while a few felt a bit disgruntled. Biggest issues were parents (with younger children) claiming the movie was boring, and that unlike the original book, is not meant for kids. As for us at Mojave, we’ll have to assess the situation for ourselves, perhaps this weekend?